Thursday, September 8, 2011

Friday Blog Hops #3

It's (almost) Friday, so it's time again for my favorite hops of the week! Today's question over at Crazy for Books is “Many of us primarily read one genre of books, with others sprinkled in. If authors stopped writing that genre, what genre would you start reading? Or would you give up reading completely if you couldn’t read that genre anymore?



This is actually difficult for me to answer because I never really did focus on mainly one genre. I always have read different stuff. So let's so that there were no more epic fantasy and ya fantasy books. I suppose I enjoy reading detective fiction and thrillers. Both Agatha Christie and James Patterson write some good stories. I wouldn't give up reading completely. However if all I had was the encyclopedia and the dictionary to read, I may just watch movies.








Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee. This is a great way to meet fellow bloggers, so head on over to their blog to check out all the rules! This week's question is: "Have you ever wanted a villain to win at the end of a story? If so, which one?"




In the traditional sense, no. In stories that are strictly a good vs evil, I usually don't root for the villain because its pretty obvious that it isn't going to end well for them. BUT, as any fan of epic fantasy may know, the line between good and evil is extremely thin if even there at all. There are quite a few series in which the good guys are suddenly bad guys which can really change the reader's perspective on the story. That is a large part to why I LOVE epic fantasy so much. So who are these lovable "bad guys"? Tyrion Lannister from Song of Ice and Fire Series. Daemon Sa'Diablo from Black Jewels, Raistlin from Dragonlance, and so many others. 







Click the covers to find out more!

24 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca! I had pretty much the same response as you-- I don't focus on any one genre more than another really, so I would be perfectly happy discovering something else to love! :)

    Here is MY HOP ANSWER !

    Have a great weekend and Happy Reading!

    Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS~ Hope you're enjoying Graceling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If all I had was the encyclopedia and dictionary, I would read the encyclopedia and dictionary. Oh dear. What does that make me?

    I'd love to have you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Rebecca!! I pretty much read anything. Cereal boxes, pamphlets, junk mail, etc., so your dictionary/encyclopedia comment gave me a chuckle because I would probably read those if there wasn't anything else available!!

    I do enjoy Patterson, too! Which of his series to you like the best?

    Happy Hopping!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy Tyrion as well and he really stands out amongst a huge cast of characters. I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit me when you get a chance.

    http://wowfromthescarfprincess.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like James Patterson also! New follower!!

    My Follow Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping by from Follow Friday =D

    New Follower!! Hope you check out my blog.

    http://bookbitereviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    Just hopping by and following through! I'm an eclectic reader as well

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    View my post

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just getting into the Song of Ice and Fire series and I agree Tyrion is a very cool anti-hero.

    I'm a new follower. My FF post: The Write Obsession

    While you're there don't forget to enter by Wolfborn giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Detective fiction sounds good- I have an Agatha Christie book I have been meaning to get to. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The line really is thin. I picked an antihero as y answer. NEW follower here.
    My FF: Book that Thing!
    Happy Friday! I also have a giveaway going on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good answers. Beautiful blog! Thanks for dropping by my blog i shall follow in return

    ReplyDelete
  13. Movies aren't all bad ;) I particularly love the ones from the 1940's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None is one of my all-time top five favorite books. I can read it over and over again. Anyway, I answered Parajunkee's question over on my blog, Fuzzy.Coffee.Books! Check it out if ya like!
    *new follower
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes it can be fun to root for the bad guy!

    new follower.

    Here's our FF

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Rebecca, new follower here for the hop! Looking forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! I love Raistlin!
    Great choice to root for. His brother Caramon was such an idiot - I can't believe anybody likes Caramon. And yet they do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had the same answer as you! If all my genres died, I'd go mysteries. I like reading them, but usually don't look for them for my TBR pile.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're one of the few bloggers who I have seen mentioned Daughter of the Blood. I LOOOOOOVE that trilogy (and world) Anne Bishop did a great job =)
    (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are right! There is too much to read to run out of any one genre.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you believe I've never read either Patterson or Christie!? I'm a horrible example. They both sound like awesome authors, obviously. I'll get there eventually.

    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction (new follower)
    http://fansoffiction.blogspot.com/2011/09/feature-and-follow-friday-and-book.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. New follower here hopping through!

    I love Tyrion Lannister. He is one of my favorite characters in the book series.

    Here are my Hop and FF

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by over at Drying Ink - I totally agree, and Tyrion is an amazing character. Have you read Dance yet? There are some pretty good Tyrion moments... Erikson is also pretty good in this respect.

    I'm following back!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man I had such a huge Poirot phase when I was about 13, read nothing else for about 6 months! If I couldn't read YA or fantasy anymore then I definitely would return to mysteries and thrillers, maybe a few romances ;)
    New Follower hopping through.
    http://booksforone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I really love getting comments from you guys so take the time and show some love.

Thanks!