Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday #1


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme that is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. It was originally started because of their love for lists. Who doesn't like making lists? I know I do, so I decided to join in this week.

This Week's Topic:
The Top 10 books you loved but never wrote a review for. I have only been blogging/reviewing for a couple months now so there are plenty of books out there that I never even considered writing a review on. Some are also too complicated to write spoiler free reviews and others I would have to reread to write a review properly. So here goes:
1. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin - I read this a few years back and it was absolutely amazing. Even now I can't imagine writing a review on it because so much happens and there is a plethora of characters. I wrote a one sentence review on GR along the lines of "kick yourself if you haven't read this book." That about sums it up anyway.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - This was an English class assignment my junior year. At this time, I hated to idea of reading. I had way better things to do at 17. Or so I thought. This book is one of the greatest novels in American history (and it is even entertaining to read.)

3. Wit'ch Fire by James Clemens - The first time I decided to go to a bookstore, buy a book with more than 100 pages, AND spend my own money, this is what I picked. I think most people would say that they found their favorite author by word or mouth or perhaps even borrowing a book from someone. But me, I strolled in, laid down my dough and walked out a winner. Of course, I didn't know it until months later when I actually picked up this tome (Years later I would know the true meaning of this word. 448 pages is nothing.) This book got me interested in reading for fun and hooked me on the epic fantasy genre.

4.Mythology by Edith Hamilton - I'm a huge fan of Greek myths. So much so, that I took a college course on it. This books has pretty much all of the important myths in one place. I might actually have to buy this one again since it's still at my dad's house, but to write a review on it? I wouldn't know where to start. 

5. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - My first true crime book. I've only read a few since then, because I have learned that none can compare with this masterpiece. It's difficult to write a review on a nonfiction work, and I haven't even considered putting a pen to paper (so to speak) regarding this one.

6. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - I want to re-read this one, so it may get a proper review from me sooner or later even though it's already over ten years old.

7. We the Living by Ayn Rand- I was and still not skillful enough to write a review on this one. It blew my mind.

8. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson - Another high school book. This made me think pirates were awesome way before it was officially OK to think pirates were awesome. Thank you Disney for allowing me to come out of the pirate closet.

    So there isn't really another two I can add to this list, but these 8 are a good representation of the things I've read before I started doing reviews. I'm sure there are more, but these are the most impacting ones for me.

    3 comments:

    1. So many great books on your list! I love To Kill A Mockingbird and Treasure Island. I really need to read Game of Thrones...

      ReplyDelete
    2. I recommend Game of Thrones to practically everyone who would be remotely interested. Some people are scared by its 835 pages though.

      ReplyDelete

    I really love getting comments from you guys so take the time and show some love.

    Thanks!