Monday, August 22, 2011

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

Title: Guilty Pleasures
Author: Laurell K. Hamilton
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Rating: 
Anita Blake may be small and young, but vampires call her the Executioner. Anita is a necromancer and vampire hunter in a time when vampires are protected by law--as long as they don't get too nasty. Now someone's killing innocent vampires and Anita agrees--with a bit of vampiric arm-twisting--to help figure out who and why.
Trust is a luxury Anita can't afford when her allies aren't human. The city's most powerful vampire, Nikolaos, is 1,000 years old and looks like a 10-year-old girl. The second most powerful vampire, Jean-Claude, is interested in more than just Anita's professional talents, but the feisty necromancer isn't playing along--yet. This popular series has a wild energy and humor, and some very appealing characters--both dead and alive.



Guilty Pleasures is the first book in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series. This is my first foray into the adult paranormal romance genre. In the beginning of the book, I found myself losing track of all the characters. Who is and isn't a vampire. All of a sudden, names would pop up and I wasn't sure where they came from. I kept having to reread sections to make sure I knew what was going on. This is a very short book, yet somehow, I often felt bored. At the same time, the story was elaborate and went too quickly. But once I got to the second half of the book, things really picked up. I found myself rooting for Anita, the kick-ass and witty heroine, and desperately wanting to know more about Jean-Claude. (Sexy, mysterious night club owner. Where have I seen this guy before? go team eric).

To be honest, I kind of expected some romance or maybe even *gasp!* sex in this book. I was left disappointed because I'm not even sure who was supposedly Anita's love interest (Isn't this supposed to be a romance?) I was a also a little confused about Phillip. Even though Anita is a very tough chick, she became smitten/drawn to this vampire junkie? Come on, I get the feeling if Anita was dead set against falling for his charms she would have resisted a bit harder. Even though it went no where, I felt that relationship made Anita seem a tad weak.

Luckily, Anita is such an intriguing character, I find myself wan't to find out what other trouble is going to land on her doorstep.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really love getting comments from you guys so take the time and show some love.

Thanks!